Saturday, September 09, 2006

Saturday

Today, I went to my first University of Virginia football game, which was against Wyoming. Tailgating is a major tradition at UVa, so the fun started about three hours before the actual game. Needless to say, I was already stupefied by the beginning of the game... which made the first half go by really fast. My big mistake was leaving in the fourth quarter, so I missed the victory in overtime. Go Cavaliers!

So the mascot of UVa is the Cavalier, who were English persons loyal to the crown during the English Civil War. According to the student newspaper, the mascot was adopted in 1923. I wonder how Thomas Jefferson would feel.... it's hard for me to imagine Cavalier or anything associated with the English king being popular or politically correct when the University was established in 1819.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home